Name: Babe's
Location: Babe's, TX
Price: Not real sure - My in-laws bought dinner
Service: Great service - friendly and fast
Food: 4 Stars
Would I Go Back: For Sure - a once every couple months kind of place
So the town of Roanoke, TX completely surprised me. The downtown, or at least where Babe's is at, was extremely busy for a Wednesday night. There are several restaurants in the area but you can tell Babe's is the one drawing the crowd. Due to its location, and the abundance of people, parking was hard to find and we ended up needing to go down the street a bit. Nothing ridiculous, maybe 100 yards, but farther than I expected. Despite a few people waiting outside we were able to get a table in about 5 minutes. Although it seemed busy to us, we were informed that it was actually slow for them so I can't say what the normal wait would be.
Right after sitting down we were greeted by the wait staff and informed of the options. You can either choose fried chicken or chicken fried steak. Then mash potatoes, gravy, corn, salad, and biscuits served family style. The food came fairly quickly, I'm sure it helps that they only have a limited menu, but seemed like it had just been fixed. The salad came with a sweet and sour vinaigrette dressing that I expected not to like but it turned out to be good. The sides came in smallish size bowls (each contained 2-3 servings I'd guess) but they were refilled quickly. I had the chicken fried steak and it was a good size piece. Overall the sides were good and the chicken fried steak was excellent. However, if you are one who is used to "good home cooking" it may seem ordinary. Personally, Whitney and I don't fry that much so it was a nice change of pace.
Overall, we'll likely go back (I'd guess a once an every two months kind of place). With a better idea of how parking is, I'll make sure to drive the more maneuverable car. The service and atmosphere more than make up for the drive and wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment