Sunday, August 8, 2010

Carolyn's Old West Cafe

Name: Carolyn's Old West Cafe
Location: Denton, TX
Price: About $10 per person
Service: Good service - nothing bad but nothing spectacular
Food: 4 Stars
Would I Go Back: For Sure

For our first week in Texas we decided to try out "Carolyn's Old West Cafe" in Denton. Whit ate there during her interview trip so she provided a little bit of a preview. Since she had ate breakfast there and liked it, we stuck to breakfast as well.

The first thing you notice when you pull up is that this place is busy. Parking is somewhat limited so we had to park next door. We had about a 30 minute wait but I expect that was a result of trying to go at 9:30 on a Saturday morning. Whitney said during the week it wasn't that bad. The place isn't very big inside so you kind of get a small town kind of feeling.

I decided to get a french toast dipped cinnamon bun with a side of hashbrowns. Whit ordered almond crunch french toast with bananas on top, scrambled eggs, and two pieces of bacon. I will admit there were many other items on the menu that looked good (particularly something called a "Panhandler" that consisted of an open face biscuit with fried potatoes, sausage gravy, and eggs on top.) Service was fast and we had our food in about 5 minutes or so.

Mine was really good, although the cinnamon bun was slightly different than expected. It was kind of like a piece of french toast with cinnamon inside and a cream cheese icing on top. I think they made it by dipping a cinnamon bun in batter and flattening it on the griddle. The hashbrowns were nice and crispy on top which is the way I like them. I also tried Whitney's and it was definitely good as well (the bananas on top were a nice addition).

Overall, real good food but expect to wait to get a table if you go on a busy Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment